Anyone who wants to improve their menu, refuse refined products or is inclined to vegetarianism will find a recipe book compiled by the daughter of Colin Campbell, author of Chinese Research and Healthy Food, very useful. His studies on the relationship of diet with heart disease, diabetes, and cancer of many people inspire to change their diet. Now - with specific tips and recipes for dishes without meat and milk - this is easier to do. We start preparing healthy food from breakfast.
Granola with orange and pumpkin seeds
Heather Crosby's Recipe
How to replace the ready-made breakfast cereals containing too many empty calories, dyes and flavors? Here is an oatmeal breakfast recipe - orange-flavored granola, which can be prepared in advance and conveniently taken on the road.
For 10+ servings
For dry mix:
- 3 cups uncooked oatmeal
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup unroasted minced almonds
- 2 chopped oranges (without peel)
- 1 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
For a wet mixture:
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 150 ° C.
- In a bowl, mix the ingredients for the wet mixture.
- In another bowl, lightly mix the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet mix with the dry mix and mix well.
- Line one or two baking sheets with parchment. Spread the prepared baking mixture in an even layer about 6 millimeters thick. If you make the layer thicker, the mixture may not bake.
- Bake the mixture for 20–25 minutes. If during baking the granola baked at the edges (turned brown) and remains light in the center, take it out, spread the baked portion over the entire surface and bake further.
- Store granola in an airtight glass container in a dark, cool place.
Oatmeal Bars with Pumpkin Seeds
Drina Burton Recipe
Granola can be uncomfortable if you need a snack on the go. But oat bars keep their shape and can become both breakfast and food on the road.
For 12-16 bars:
- 1½ cups oatmeal
- 1¼ cup oatmeal
- 3-4 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 1–2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons unsweetened milk replacer (soy, rice, almond, etc. milk)
What is the benefit of oatmeal?
- It contains substances that increase the body's resistance to infections and negative environmental influences. Oatmeal is rich in amino acids, protein, soluble fiber and beta-glucans, which strengthen the immune system. Oatmeal is also called "female porridge" - it normalizes metabolism, the digestive tract and the cardiovascular system, plus strengthens bones, teeth and is suitable for dietary nutrition.
Oatmeal Recipes For Breakfast
Everyone has heard about the benefits of oatmeal, I won’t repeat it: even children know that this is the most useful porridge, which must be in the diet of every person. I was lucky: I love oatmeal. I can eat it every day, and in the simplest version - steamed with boiling water - and I'm not bored at all. But I know at least a dozen ways to cook oatmeal in case you suddenly want variety. I share them in this article with you. In all recipes we use oat flakes of long cooking.
1. Lazy oatmeal
The name suggests that lazy, of course, is not oatmeal, but the one who cooks it. Yes, it’s nowhere easier: in the evening pour oatmeal with a fermented milk product (kefir, fermented baked milk) or milk, add nuts / dried fruits / honey to taste and refrigerate, and eat in the morning. There is also a lean or vegan version of this dish: twenty years ago in the magazine “Worker” it was called “French Beauty Breakfast”. In this embodiment, oatmeal should be poured not with milk, but with water, add a grated apple and a little honey. Eat in the morning with pleasure.
2. Steamed Oatmeal
Perhaps steamed oatmeal can compete with the "lazy" simplicity of preparation: pour the flakes with boiling water, let stand for about twenty minutes. Then add pieces of fruit, nuts, honey. I also like to add coconut or chocolate drops for baking.
3. Oatmeal pancakes
It's almost oatmeal, so beloved by the adherents of a healthy diet, but in the form of pancakes - it's easier to turn it over. They can be made from ground flakes or from oatmeal, as you like.
- oatmeal - 5 tablespoons,
- milk - 0.5 cups
- egg - 1 pc.,
- cooking oil for frying.
Mix milk and egg with a fork, add oatmeal. Stir and let stand for 15 minutes. Heat the pan, grease with vegetable oil. Spread oatmeal with a spoon in a pan, forming small pancakes. Fry until the bottom is browned. Turn over and fry the same second side.
The legendary porridge, after which the eater has a remarkable strength. This is not your usual oatmeal porridge, although it is cooked that way. Well, maybe without sugar and salt, but in the modern interpretation of the recipe they are sometimes added. I'll tell you a classic recipe, and you will figure out how to improve it for yourself.
- water - 2 glasses
- oatmeal - 2 tablespoons.
Pour water into a ladle and bring to a boil. Pour oatmeal and cook, stirring, for 15-20 minutes over medium heat until the porridge becomes thick.
5. Oatmeal cookies
We offered to prepare one of the options for oatmeal cookies as a gift in a jar. Now I’ll tell you another option, much easier.
Grind the banana with a fork in mashed potatoes and mix with cereal. Form cookies and put on baking paper. Bake for 10-12 minutes at a temperature of 180 degrees.
Granola, or muesli is the product that is better to do at home on your own than to buy in a store. You can add granola with any dried fruit or nuts to your taste. I offer a recipe for pear granola.
- pear - 1 pc.,
- honey - 2 tablespoons,
- vegetable oil - 2 tablespoons,
- oatmeal - 2 cups,
- sesame seeds, nuts, nuts, cinnamon, ginger - at will and to taste.
- Turn on the oven to warm up to 150 degrees.
- Grate the pear. Mix pear, honey, butter.
- Separately mix flakes with all toppings. Combine the two mixtures.
- Put baking paper on a baking sheet and spread the mixture over the baking sheet. Put in the oven for 30-35 minutes, periodically remove and stir.
- Allow to cool before use.
7. Oatmeal stewed in a pan
One of the most unusual recipes in this collection. Suitable for those who do not like oatmeal due to the consistency, and also help to diversify the diet.
- oat flakes - 200 g,
- onion - 1 pc.,
- butter - 50 g,
- a mixture of herbs, salt to taste.
Grate the carrots, chop the onion. Fry onions and carrots in butter (can be replaced with vegetable). Pour oatmeal and fry for a couple of minutes. Salt, sprinkle with herbs. Pour a little water into the pan (2 tablespoons), cover and leave for 15-20 minutes.
8. Cramble with oatmeal
- oat flakes - 100 g,
- wheat flour - 100 g,
- sugar - 50 g
- butter - 100 g,
- jam, frozen berries, fresh berries or fruit slices - 200 g.
Mix oatmeal with flour and sugar. Dice butter or grate. Hand grind with a dry mixture into crumbs. In a heat-resistant form, put berries, fruits or jam. Sprinkle with crumbs and bake in the oven at a temperature of 200 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
9. Oatmeal Pie
- milk - 200 ml
- oat flakes - 150 g,
- cottage cheese - 200 g
- cocoa powder - 50 g,
- egg - 1 pc.,
- flour - 1 tablespoon,
- starch - 1 tablespoon,
- butter - 100 g,
- soda - 0.5 teaspoon,
- sugar - 200 g.
- Heat the milk in a ladle to about 80 degrees (do not boil) and pour oatmeal on it. Mix well and cool.
- Melt the butter and cool.
- Lay the baking dish with baking paper, turn on the oven to heat up to 180 degrees.
- Add sugar, cocoa, butter to cereal with milk and mix well.
- Add the egg and cottage cheese to the mixture and mix well again.
- Separately mix flour, starch and soda, pour the dry ingredients into the oat mixture.
- Transfer the resulting dough into a mold and bake for about 35 minutes. Cut the finished cake into squares.
10. Muesli Bars
- oatmeal - 10 tablespoons,
- banana - 2 pcs.,
- honey - 1 tablespoon,
- dried fruits, nuts - to taste.
Grind the banana with a fork in mashed potatoes and mix with dried fruits, nuts, honey and oatmeal. Put in a cake pan, smooth the surface. Bake for 10 minutes in an oven preheated to 150 degrees. Cool, cut into rectangles.