A do-it-yourself volcano not only resembles the present, but also knows how to spew lava, or rather, a liquid similar in consistency. Such a miniature volcano is ideal for school projects. With the help of this product, you can clearly show certain reactions without using a textbook. So, making a volcano with your own hands is not difficult.
Paper Volcano Production
With this type of production, it is necessary to use the following types of materials:
- Newspapers or magazines
- a sheet of cardboard, or better plywood,
- adhesive tape for connection, preferably double-sided,
- plastic bottle
- paint for drawing
- scissors and brushes of different thicknesses for ease of use,
- vinegar and baking soda.
It is quite possible to make a volcano at home, but you must adhere to the recommendations as accurately as possible. Create a makeshift volcano in stages:
- Take a sheet of cardboard or plywood and install a plastic bottle on its center. Using double-sided tape to connect the neck of the bottle with plywood, you should get a cone,
- Further sheets from newspapers and magazines will help. Crumpled sheets must be placed inside the cone. This will create a shaped figure,
- In addition, glue the cone with double-sided tape,
- It is necessary to compact the structure of the future volcano. For this action, it is necessary to create the so-called sticky mixture. This composition includes flour and water in a ratio of 1: 2. Parents, performing this work, give the children the task of cutting strips of paper. It is important to have wet and dry rags or wipes on hand to eliminate errors. When everything is ready, it is necessary to glue the volcano with these stripes to its very vent. Then you need to wait until the structure is completely dry. If you want to speed up the process of such drying, you must place the volcano in the oven, but not at a high temperature,
- While the volcano is colorless and completely unattractive for children. The best way to fix such a problem is to decorate, where you also need to involve children. In this process, children develop various creative abilities, as well as they enjoy. The optimal colors are red, green, brown and gray. Colorize the slide. And at its foot it is necessary to apply the color of vegetation, that is, green. To complement, you can draw a river in the same place, but for this you need an additional blue color. The body of the volcano should be made in brown and gray colors. In places of tubercles it is necessary to draw in red, depicting it as a flowing lava,
- You should try to make a volcano from baking soda, which is marked by increased interest in children. In this case, you need to use a little “magic” in order to power the volcano. You need to cook this magical mixture with your own hands. Warm water is poured into the neck of the bottle. This liquid must be mixed with detergent and liquid soap. Two tablespoons of soda are poured into the neck. Separately, vinegar must be poured into the glass and stained with red paint or food color. It is recommended to use no more than 200 ml of vinegar in half a bottle of water. Next, colored vinegar is poured into a bottle,
- After that, the corresponding sounds of hissing and boiling will be heard from the volcano. And also after a few seconds lava will appear. Such an action will occur for several minutes, during which the children have time to rejoice.
Volcano from the test
The second option of a do-it-yourself volcano at home is to run it from a dough. For this, the following materials will be needed:
- 400 grams of flour
- 200 grams of salt
- 200 grams of water
- watercolor red paint. You can also apply food coloring
- instead of a glass bottle, in this case a glass is good,
- vinegar and salt for volcanic eruption,
Since it is easy to make a model of a volcano at home from dough, first of all, you need to knead the salty dough. The dough should be as tight as possible and not stick to your hands. In the center it is necessary to put the glass and douse it with dough prepared in advance. With such a process, it is necessary to implement a mountain model.
From the bottom of such a mountain it will be possible to draw a river or attach artificial plants. What happened should be left to dry. If the drying process takes place in the open air, then this one will take about four days, so you need to resort to using the oven. After drying, you can proceed to the drawings. In this case, you can rely on your fantasies.
The eruption of the volcano itself must be started in the same way as in the first case, but the material should already be placed in a glass. The main thing is to adhere to the rules and everything will work out. To some components of the composition is better not to let children.
How to make a model of a volcano with your own hands from plasticine is a topic that will arouse interest among a young explorer. There are fixed and active forms of the product. Creating a stationary model is a simple process, it is enough to build a model of a smoking mountain from plasticine. The acting creation will look much more fascinating. The creation of such a product will be entertaining both for those who go to school, and for preschool children. It is likely that an experiment with a model of a home volcano will cause a child's enthusiasm for geology, geography and chemistry.
Creating an erupting volcano is easier than it sounds. Before making the crafts, it is advisable to familiarize yourself with the images and find out the structure, and also just look at the pictures, for example, in a children's encyclopedia or school textbook. Still, this project is more likely to be educational than developing motor skills and creative imagination. The child will expand his horizons, significantly replenishing him with knowledge about the structure of the planet and its phenomena.
Before turning into lava, the igneous mass ascends through a cramped volcanic vent. The vast capacity for the “magma” and the narrow neck for the vent are exactly what is necessary for the correct recreation of the experience. A plastic container from under water and plasticine are well suited.
- dishwashing chemistry
- plywood or large thick cardboard (square with sides half a meter or wider),
- brushes and acrylic paints,
- food coloring (red or orange).
Process of creation
The base should always be larger than the rest. The base of the volcano is 15–25 cm from the ends of the cardboard. The first step begins with the reconstruction of the volcanic vent. Depending on the desired size of the mountain, you need to give the bottle the desired length. Shorten if a low volcano is required - to do this, trim the top and bottom, then connect them with duct tape. Attach the bottle with the same adhesive tape in the middle of the base and proceed to sculpt the volcano.
To do this, it is better to stock up on material, because it is a very resource-intensive process. You can take the old and damaged plasticine, crumple it. This is just right in order to give the necessary, natural black, gray and brown color.
It is necessary to stretch the resulting plasticine mass and begin construction from the base to the top: measured, row by row to erect a structure. Bulges and irregularities will give the product a much more believable look. To drain magma can be laid "channels".
This requires clay of red, orange and yellow. It is necessary to mold the different colors of the molding material into a single piece, but do not mix them together so that colored stripes and patterns are noticeable.
The created model will be an excellent example if you need to do a school exercise or participate in a competition. It will help kids play in the "Mesozoic era", where volcanic emissions were commonplace, and the land was inhabited by dinosaurs.
All that is needed
For experience, you need a little household chemicals and decorative elements to create the island. An island with a volcano can be made from natural materials or use sets of sensory boxes with dinosaurs.
The layout of the volcano is molded from plasticine. Creating a fabulous volcanic island for experience is its main component and serves to develop the child’s imagination and creative abilities. Such classes will help instill a love of chemistry and geography. Fine motor skills of the fingers, the child will develop during the manufacture of plasticine relief of the terrain and its inhabitants.
To make the island you need:
- stapler or narrow tape,
- box with colored plasticine,
- small animal toys
- multi-colored pebbles,
- a large plastic box or bowl in which the island will stand,
- 200 ml glass or plastic container for the volcano vent.
For the experiment you will need:
- soda 20 g
- food coloring:
- vinegar 9%
- dishwashing detergent 25 ml,
- water 100 ml.
Typically, an experiment takes place until the mother runs out of all soda and all the vinegar, so be patient.
Children can not conduct experiments on their own without adults. If vinegar enters the eyes or mouth of a child, a mucous membrane burn may occur, and if swallowed, a burn of the esophagus may occur.
Making a fabulous island
You can build an island in a large plastic container. Pour real water, lay out the bottom with round pebbles. Capacity for the volcano to make from a jar for baby food or an old glass. For the mountain, inside which the container will stand, you need to make a cardboard layout, his child will gladly coat plasticine.
Volcanic mountain manufacturing sequence:
- cut out from thick cardboard a circle of the desired diameter,
- make an incision from the edge to the center of the circle,
- fold the cone
- the edges of the cone are fastened with a stapler or tape,
- cut off the upper part of the cone at a height equal to the capacity selected for the volcano,
- place the container inside the cone.
On top of the mountain I coat plasticine. To do this, roll out small brown plasticine cakes and stick to the paper cone, completely closing the cardboard. The top of the volcano can be made of red plasticine, which will imitate a hot lava.
Mount a volcanic mountain on a dry islet of pebbles. They plant around small rubber animals that are among children's toys. Amazingly colorful dinosaurs or wolves, foxes, bunnies, bears and other inhabitants of the forest and jungle. Depending on which animals they planted, they select vegetation for the island. Large tree-like ferns and horsetails for dinosaurs, and ordinary Christmas trees and birches for bunnies and foxes.
Plastic plants are also often sold in kits for children's games. You can use a leaf of live fern and sprigs of plants, if the window is summer. Plants can also be molded from plasticine, made from threads and beads or ordinary cardboard.
It is possible to make small houses out of cardboard, for plastic Indians and soldiers. It is better to use cardboard for the manufacture of plants and houses in the case when the island will be in a container with blue colored sand instead of water or on a blue plasticine sea.
Finally, the island is ready. All toy animals and people froze in anticipation of an interesting event - a volcanic eruption. They know that the volcano is not real and therefore are not afraid of it.
For the experiment, a tablespoon of soda is poured into the jar-vent of the volcano. Add a tablespoon of dish detergent. Food coloring red or orange is dissolved in 100 milligrams of water and poured into soda and detergent. The basis for the experience is ready, it remains to add vinegar. Mom, you can let the child pour vinegar on her own into the volcano, under her supervision, so that he does not do this in her absence. It is better to repeat the experiment in encore, pouring vinegar into the "mouth" of the volcano and pouring soda there, while the child is interested and he asks to repeat the experiment.
When vinegar is added, the soda begins to foam, erupting from the "mouth of the volcano", like red or orange lava. The detergent will allow the “lava” to foam longer and more abundantly, overflowing from the vent and flooding the surroundings along with plants and animals that, inadvertently, are too close.
An experiment with a volcano for young children is safest to do with soda and vinegar. It can be repeated many times, and getting the necessary materials for the experiment will not be difficult.
The most interesting thing in the experience is the creation with the child of his own fairy-tale island, which can be used not only for the Volcano chemical experience, but also for an exciting game.
With older children, you can conduct the “Volcano” experiment at home using potassium permanganate and glycerol. For the experiment, ammonium dichromate is poured into the evaporation cup in the form of a slide, in the middle of which a depression is made. A little potassium permanganate and a few drops of glycerin are added to the recess.
After a few minutes, due to the interaction of potassium permanganate and glycerin, ammonium dichromate will ignite. Sparks will sprinkle from the volcano in all directions, and a fountain of fire will begin to erupt. Before starting the experiment, the bowl must be placed on the foil so as not to burn the surface on which the experiment will take place.
Ammonium dichromate can simply be ignited, and it will burn like a volcano, spewing sparks. The experience is exciting, but without the presence of adults, children should not be allowed to do it. Burns can cause not only sparks, but also chemicals used.
Materials for work
- Large glass bottle - 1 piece.
- Polyfoam white, density No. 25. Sizes: 35 cm height, 40 cm width, 40 cm length.
- Clay "Dragon".
- Primer ST-16.
- The brush is wide.
- Sandpaper of different grit.
- Putty starting.
- Small rubber spatula.
- Primer for putty.
- Layout with a new blade.
- Water based paints.
- Water-soluble varnish.
- Paint brushes are wide and narrow.
- Fiberboard - size 60 cm by 60 cm.
- Plasticine of different colors.
The working process
- A piece of polystyrene must be carefully divided into two halves -17.5 cm / 20 cm / 20 cm. It can be sawn with a metal saw so as not to severely injure the surface.
- After the foam is divided into two parts, you need to cut out the middle of the foam, which will fit a glass bottle. The neck of the bottle should be hidden under the top of the foam. After the bottle is placed in polystyrene foam, the halves are glued together with Dragon glue. The bottle should exit through the bottom of an impromptu volcano.
- Next, excess pieces of polystyrene foam are cut from the outside in order to give shape to the volcano.
- After the polystyrene has already become like a volcano, you can wrap a small foam fraction and tackle the surface with sandpaper. First large, then smaller.
- The turn of priming the surface came up (2 layers). Each layer is applied after drying the previous one. Layers will not let the putty crumble.
- Ready putty is applied with a spatula. The next layer lies after the previous one dries. Putty should not crack, the thicker the layer, the more likely the presence of cracks. When using flexible putty, the surface will be more resistant to movement.
- If all layers of putty have dried, the surface is sanded with medium and fine sandpaper. This is done so as not to remove bends and waves. The volcano should still look like a volcano.
- The primer is applied with a brush to strengthen the putty (several layers).
- Now you can prepare the paints that will be painted on the surface of the volcano. The color scheme, for example, blue with green, lilac with orange.
- Water-based paint is selected for quick drying. Gouache is also used.
- When the volcano is painted, varnish is applied. Now the surface is glossy, pleasantly shimmers. Instead of water-soluble varnish, the product is varnished with alkyd varnish. The surface will be tighter and reusable.
- A site is being prepared from fiberboard for a volcano. The area around the active volcano is inhabited by handmade plasticine animals. Trees sit down, real stones or plasticine are placed.
- Now you can begin to activate the home volcanic brainchild.
How to make a volcano video
Volcano how to make plasticine
Plasticine is divided into 2 parts.
The first part is rolled into a pancake (base or dry land). From the second part, fashion a hollow cone, with a hole in the middle.
Place a bottle with a cut neck on the base. Put on a cone from above, stick plasticine around the opening of the bottle. Fasten the base and cone of the volcano to form a sealed structure.
Color the model and sculpt the slopes. The prepared substance for lava is poured into the bottle through a watering can.
How to make a model of a volcano from plasticine the second way
Instead of clay, you can use salt dough, modeling mass, papier-mâché.
Glue the bottle to the base (inverted plastic bowl, thick cardboard, chipboard) with adhesive tape so that a conical tent is formed.
Plasticine over the top. Form lava flows, mountain range elements, channels. Если вы использовали соленое тесто — просушите вулкан.
Теперь можно раскрасить модель. Для более эффектного извержения на жерло вулкана можно нанести красную краску. Когда краска высохнет, нанесите прозрачный герметизирующий состав.
Attach plastic plants to the base (usually they decorate aquariums) - you get trees and shrubs. Dry the volcano well before use.
How to make a model of a cold porcelain volcano
If you wanted to use the mass for modeling for the manufacture of the volcano, but did not find it in stores, or the price for it turned out to be high, you can cook cold porcelain. It is a soft material, uniform in structure. It is convenient to sculpt small details from it, because it is very plastic, and hardens when solidified.
Mix one part of starch (corn or potato) soda, water. Add a drop of vegetable oil.
Put the mixture on the fire and cook until it thickens, stirring constantly. Remove the thick mass from the pan and cover with a damp towel. When the mass becomes warm, mash it. It should be soft, and resemble plasticine. The mass can be painted in the desired color during cooking. Oil paint is best for this. But keep in mind that then "cold china" will quickly harden. So that the mass does not stick to your hands, grease them with oil or a greasy cream. Fashion a volcano as described above and let it dry. Then paint with acrylic paints.
How to make a volcano from soda
The easiest way to make lava is from soda with vinegar. The amount given to the volcano is "volume" 100-150 ml.
1 tbsp. mix a teaspoon of soda with 1 teaspoon of dishwashing detergent (preferably red), and red dye (you can use beetroot juice). Stir the mixture well, if the lava is very thick, add water. Pour it into the crater of a volcano.
To start the eruption, it is necessary to add 2.5 tbsp. tablespoons of vinegar. Vinegar will react with soda, and carbon dioxide emission will begin. As a result, a bubbling red foam will form.
How to make a home volcano erupting in green ash
For this experiment, ammonium dichromate (NH4) 2Cr2O7 will be required. It is included in any standard Young Chemist set. The experiment must be carried out on a fireproof surface.
Pour ammonium dichromate into an unnecessary tin can of 7 cm high. In the center of the slide, make a recess and place a cotton swab moistened with alcohol.
From brown paper, roll a cone 15 cm high, 20 cm in diameter. Cut off the top of the cone by 5 cm. Cover the reagent jar with the cone. Make sure that the cone is slightly lower than the slide, and if necessary, cut the paper. Set fire to the fleece and admire the flying green flakes.
How to make a do-it-yourself volcano erupting in a sheaf of sparks
The eruption is spectacular, but it must be carried out, observing the rules for working with combustible substances, to conduct an experiment on the street under the control of adults. If careless, you can make a fire or get burns of the fourth degree.
Mix 4 parts of potassium nitrate with 2 parts of aluminum (source of sparks) sawdust and 1 part of sulfur. To get enough sawdust, drill a few holes in the metal.
Install a clay plug on the bottom of the cardboard sleeve (it can be bought or taken after the factory pyrotechnics used, you can make it yourself). The thickness of the walls of the sleeve is 4 mm. Pour and tamper the mixture into the sleeve. Cover the top with a cardboard circle (its diameter is equal to the inner diameter of the sleeve), and then fill with plaster.
In the middle of the gypsum plug, drill a hole to the pyrotechnic mixture and pass the wick. This will be the crater of the volcano, before starting the eruption, set fire to the wick and move to a safe distance.
How to do
Cut the plastic bottle in half.
Place the top of the bottle on the tray with its neck up. Cut the foil strips, wrap around the bottle and create the shape of a volcano.
Prepare the salted dough, roll it, divide it into three parts and carefully lay it on top of the foil.
For realism, paint the mouth of the volcano with red food coloring.
How to conduct an experiment
Pour two teaspoons of baking soda into the neck of the bottle and add a tablespoon of dishwashing detergent.
Pour vinegar into a glass and color with food coloring. Pour the liquid into the volcano and see how thick, colored foam flows from the vent. Children will be delighted with the spectacular eruption of the volcano!